Monday, April 1, 2013

Team Skidmore Updates!

Great news! I've made it easier to help me reach my goal of raising enough money to race in London, you can now donate online via Paypal. Click here or see the link displayed on the right sidebar and feel free to share this blog with anyone!

I've also added the option to subscribe to my blog, this way you'll get an email when I post! See it on the right sidebar. 

We've set a date for our first fundraising dinner! It will be at the Shannon Door Pub in Jackson, NH on Thursday May 16th-SAVE THE DATE and tell everyone you know!! Any pizza sold that evening will benefit Team Skidmore, even take out! Plus there will be great raffle prizes and a sign up for Team Skidmore t-shirts and more.

I've spent some time changing the logo check it out! 

The revised logo

Last years logo



I'm often asked how training is going and my response is always "good" or "great" but sometimes I don't have time to elaborate. Training is awesome! I'm learning so much about my body, understanding the different zones I have to work in, how to push myself-finding something else that works, and becoming more familiar with the power tap computer. I take time after every workout to stretch but I know I need to make more time. The most valuable trick I've learned for better recovery is to elevate my legs for 3-5 minutes immediately after a workout. This keeps the lactic acid from pooling in my legs which causes them to be more fatigued the next day. I also drink a mix within 30 mins, Hammer's Recoverite Chocolate really does it for me! I am always fresh for the next training session.

Training in zones: For each workout I can use technology, a heart rate monitor or a Power Tap to make sure I'm in the right zones. The goal is to steadily increase my zones to get faster, stronger and to tolerate more. My current training zones are:

Recovery Miles- Heart Rate: 85-118, Watts 60-102
Endurance Miles- HR: 110-154, Watts 91-148
Tempo- HR:149-152, Watts 162-173
Steady State- HR:155-159 Watts 175-183
Climbing Repeats- HR161-169 Watts 193-197

During all workouts I am in at least two of these zones. It has been interesting having to focus on numbers while riding indoors on the trainer.  I do watch TV but most of the time I'm staring at the numbers making sure I stay in the right zones. It will be challenging when I start riding outside. I'll have hills, wind, and traffic on top of focusing to stay in my zones. All winter I've been on the trainer with none of these variables.

I've really made great progress in the pool, I learn something every session. When I am swimming sets I am usually descending, meaning each one is faster than the previous one. Steve has taught me when I get tired to find something else that works, I can glide a little more or kick a little harder, just by changing one or two elements I can get through with the same results. It's similar to having gears on a bike. I've used the Erg a few times and that helps with power and form. Steve has looked at my pool times, figured them into the 1/2  mile I swim in Triathlon and projects I've taken 4-5 minutes off! It is so exciting and I still have two months until my first Triathlon. I can't wait to get in the open water and race.

Steve and I have nearly finalized my race schedule for this season, you'll see it on the right sidebar. It's pretty exciting. Instead of  focusing on Triathlons I'll be mixing it up. I'm racing the Maine Time Trial Series roughly 15 miles of all out bike racing. This will help me find my pace and get me more comfortable in the aero bars. I'll also be using these races as bricks where I transition to a run immediately after I'm done riding. This will prep my legs and nail down my T2 (bike to run transition time). Along with time trials I'll be doing quite a few 5k running races. Great Glen Trails has the Salomon Spring Trail Running Series -registration is open ;) as well as a nine week series offered by the White Mountain Milers at Whittaker Woods. I will use some of these as bricks too. I have chosen to race all new Triathlons this summer, I won't know the venue, the course or the competitors. This will really prepare me for London and teach me to race a little out of my comfort zone. In prior races I have always made time to at least drive the bike and run courses so I knew what to expect on race day. I'm super excited for the new challenge!

2013 sponsorship is underway! Karen from Peak Health Sports Massage has joined the team again this year and taken very good care of my muscles! Smith and Town Printing has also joined Team Skidmore. In order to spread the word about fundraising we need materials; letters, envelopes, business cards, raffle tickets, etc and Smith & Town will be doing all the printing for us!! Thanks so much Rachel and Micheal!
 
I'll be posting another blog with more dates and details of this summers fundraising events!

Spring is right around the corner and I can't wait to hit the open road!

Organizing all this takes a lot of time and effort I am so thankful to have a team behind me and leading that team is a great friend of mine Regina Ferreira! She has volunteered so much of her time and has taken on an incredible role, I can't imagine doing any of this without her, thanks Gina!!






1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blogs! Thanks for taking the time to sit down and let us in!
    Good Luck Meg!
    I Love the new logo by the way

    ReplyDelete